Monday, August 29, 2011

Finally getting around to it...

So, everyone always tells me I should write a "Mommy Blog." You know the ones I'm talking about, they are usually cute, full of family photos of beautiful people, arts and crafts projects and from scratch recipes. The pictures on these blogs always show clean, obviously well-behaved children doing educationally enriching activities while their SAH Mom buzzes around making lampshades out of coffee filters that actually look like something you'd want to buy, tips for buying $400 worth of groceries for $9 plus a fist full of coupons and a beautiful home where dinner is NEVER from a box out of the freezer section. I'm a mom who (mostly) stays home, my kids LOVE to craft and I love to cook. Plus, I used to fancy myself a writer in a former life. Surely I would be the best ever Mommy Blogger, my friends and family have told me. I finally decided to take some of their advice and try my hand at Mommy Blogging. There's only a few problems as I see it:

  • I suck at crafts. I mean I REALLY SUCK at crafts. Both coming up with them for my kids and doing them for myself. I know that Moms of little girls are supposed to be phenomenal with a glue gun and some fabric scraps, but I have not a single artistic bone in my body. The few crafts that I do with my kids are pulled from other Mommy Blogs or from my own limited creative side. Who would want to read a Mommy Blog with no craft tips?
  • My kids are definitely clean (most of the time), but they are rarely impeccably dressed. In fact, in the summertime if we're home, they're usually hanging out in the underwear or diaper. No cute matching outfits for my girls, I'm lucky if G doesn't have some of her lunch smeared on her undies. And while I used to at least have cute diaper covers for R, I've recently decided to throw in the cloth-diapering towel, so her latest duds are paper and plastic. (Terrible, I know, but I just can't stand washing any more poop, even if it does increase my carbon footprint). Sticky kids in their undies are, from what I can tell, a fairly typical sighting, so who would tune in to read a Mommy Blog when they can look in to their living room and find the same scene. 
  • I suck at couponing. I would love to be an expert couponer, but every time I try, I end up with a ton of crap I don't want and don't have any place to store. So I have to stick with shopping the supermarket sales, which while helpful, aren't exactly interesting to read in a Mommy Blog.
  • I'm not a true SAHM, but I don't work full-time either. I'm not even a WAHM. I'm actually pretty title-less, since I work part-time outside of the home. Most moms on Baby Center, The Bump, Cafe Mom, etc. and all the Mommy Bloggers fit into one of the above categories. As far as I can tell there aren't very many PTWOH/SAHM (part time work outside of home/stay at home moms) who have Mommy Blogs, there has to be a reason for that, right?
  • I do love to cook, but there are lots of nights when we eat frozen pizza and crudites (read cut up veggies) or scrambled eggs, toast and fresh fruit for dinner. If I find time to make a fantastic lunch, we're usually eating eggs for dinner or time to make a great dinner one night, we're bound to be eating it for lunch (and maybe dinner) for the next three days. I know that none of the witty Mommy Bloggers out there feed their kids frozen pizza. 
  • It's been a lifetime since I was a writer and even though I work at a magazine, I'm the office manager. I don't know that I fit the category of "amazing writer" anymore, even though my mother would definitely beg to differ. A former writer, whose career never really lifted off does not a great Mommy Blogger make. 
So there you have it. All the reasons why I haven't/shouldn't/couldn't possibly have a Mommy Blog. And if all of that wasn't enough, there's the time factor. When do I have time to blog? My house usually has at least 1 room in it clean, but never do I have time to make sure all the rooms in my house are clean at the same time. If I don't even have time to clean my entire house, I surely don't have time to blog. I am a self-confessed facebook addict, so I thought I could apply some of my facebooking time to blogging. 

Basically, I'm not perfect, like all the Mommy Bloggers I know or read about are. 

Plus, I seriously doubt anyone truely wants to read my non-sensical ramblings about G's mispronunciation of a seemingly simple word or R's callous from scooting across the floor. BUT, it does feel good to get a little writing in, and my Mom, Aunts, Step Mom and MIL will probably humor me by at least pretending to read my drivel. So, if anyone out there is still reading, here it is. My Mommy Blog. Bits and Pieces of our (occasionally) interesting, (mostly) dull and (often) silly life. 



2 comments:

  1. Great job, Amelia! You did NOT write a boring post, by any means, and I can't wait until you write more. :)
    -Sherry

    ReplyDelete